9.12.2013

recipe: vanilla-brown sugar french toast

 
IMG_4841
Saturday morning. The best morning for a sweet, decadent breakfast. You get to sleep in (or if you're like us, 'sleeping in' as a parent means 8 a.m.). You've got two full days of no work, no commuter rush, no big plans awaiting you. You roll over in bed, stretch and see that the sun is shining outside and you think how good it feels to not have to rush to get anywhere. That's what weekends are for, after all. 
IMG_4894
The sole motivation for you getting up is the thought of that freshly brewed cup of coffee with your name on it. And this vanilla french toast just waiting to be devoured. I like to make this breakfast when I want to spoil my family.
IMG_4897
French toast feels like home to me. It's a comfort food. Back when I was still living at home, I distinctly remember the smell of my mom's french toast wafting up to my second floor bedroom. That would be enough to send my stomach rumbling. 
IMG_4898
These same memories are what I hope to instill in my son. 
IMG_4905
That boy loves to eat. And he loves when I make these. Coincidentally, so does daddy. 
IMG_4844
The only way to serve these are stacked with a very generous drizzle of syrup. I did mention you should spoil yourself as well, right? Coffee, OJ, and bacon are all optional but absolutely recommended! 


Vanilla-Brown Sugar French Toast 
| adapted from This Gal Cooks | 

yields approx. 6-8 slices

ingredients:
1 loaf Challah bread, sliced into 1-inch slices (brioche is a delicious option too)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon 
pinch of salt
powdered sugar, for topping (optional)
berries, for topping (optional)
syrup, to serve

directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy whipping cream, brown sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and pinch of salt. 

2. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray or melt a pat of butter to coat the surface.

3. Dip each bread slice into the egg mixture, individually. Place in griddle or skillet. Cook until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Flip to the other side and repeat. 

4. Serve toast with berries, powdered sugar, and syrup. Enjoy! 


 



Follow me on:
Facebook | Bloglovin' | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving some love. xo, Rosa

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis